AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Blown head gasket 3.7l -help
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

A couple of answers (or suggestions) for you:

1: It is quite a job to get the heads off, but it's more time consuming than anything. If you have time and keep all the bolts in labelled zip lock bags, use a paint pen to identify where wires and vacuum hoses etc. connect and take plenty of photos along the way that you can refer back to, you should be fine.

2: Not sure about the direction of rotation for the harmonic balancer, but I would only use that method if you have to. I tried removing it with a (crappy) rattle gun with no luck, then a 500mm breaker bar with a large screwdriver lodged in the balancer with no luck. I then went to Bunnings and bought a 2m length of gal pipe and used this over the breaker bar and it cracked the bolt undone almost straight away! I would do this if you can. Re-torquing was quite simple from memory, with a bit of effort of course. If you don't have a suitable puller to get the balancer back on be careful as you're not supposed to use the bolt to pull it back into place or you could strip the crankshaft thread which would be a world of pain!!. I made a tool out of a long threaded bar, large greased-up washers and a couple of nuts. Just take it slow and release the tension every now and then and re-grease the washers. You will see how hot they get from the friction. I used this tool for most of the way and then gave it a few hits with a hammer by placing a short piece of 4x2 in there. I used the crankshaft bolt for the last little bit as the thread was in a long way.

3: I didn't need to drain the PS pump at all from memory. Is it mounted with flexible hoses? I think you can tie it up out of the way and is pretty well sealed, so give it a go. No biggie if you need to refill it though. Just don't start the engine until the reservoir is full.

4: I just drained the radiator and I can't remember much coolant coming out when the heads were removed. There was some in the cylinders, but I just mopped it up with paper towel and blew dry with the compressor. I highly recommend dropping the oil and changing your filter before you run the engine after reassembling as you will have bits of gasket, dust and traces of coolant that will enter the oil galleries during the job and it's not worth the risk of having contaminants ruining your "new" engine.