AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Installation of the Mygig Lockpick Air
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Cool Installation of the Mygig Lockpick Air

Hi All,

I just installed a Mygig Lockpick Air and I thought I'd share the experience and some pics.

What it is
The lockpick sits in between your stereo head unit and the car's computer system, and effectively unlocks all of the extra features including having up to 5 cameras (yes 5). The Air version also has wifi and allows you to stream video to it from a mobile device. See video
. The video was almost my exact experience. Almost...

Non-US devices are not "supported", but it does work!
Although it does say: "APPLICATIONS INCLUDE ALL CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP MYGIG RADIO CAPABLE VEHICLES", that's not entirely true. The Lockpick Air is essentially a Lockpick V5 with wifi features added. The V5 has a caveat that non-US Mygigs are NOT SUPPORTED. It looks like they just forgot to put the same caveat on the Lockpick Air page. The good news is that it works anyway, but at the expense of losing AM radio (explained further down).

Installation
The front panel pulls off with a bit of brute force. As with any panel, the first time requires the most force, then it gets easier.

I chose not to use the cavity directly behind the stereo for the lockpick. Instead I fed the wiring down into the cavity below it (directly behind the air conditioning controls). There is more space there:

The main difference is that the non-US model does not seem to have a TV mode to activate to get access to the cameras and wifi channels. Instead it activates the MW (Medium Wave) menu to offer these options. This clearly has not been tested because the MW overwrites the AM menu instead of adding it (I don't listen to AM anyway). All the menu options are there though:

Activating the Air feature:

Playing The Simpsons from my iPhone to the stereo:

What it all looks like before you stuff it all back in again:

Unfortunately I can't show the reversing camera yet because, although I have run all the wiring now, the camera I got off Amazon was a dud and didn't work. I'll have to get another one.

Other notes that might be important: This is a 2011 limited KK and I upgraded the firmware of the mygig to the latest version before I started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8272.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	70538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8273.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	70539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8277.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	70540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	70541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	70542  

Last edited by flashy; 28-01-2015 at 01:04 AM.