AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Help setting timing chains
View Single Post
Old 19-02-2015
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks all for the replies,
In terms of what it is doing, I would say it is not firing at all. It just seems the turn over speed increases up a bit when you press the peddle which makes it seem like it might fire up.
In terms of the settings I'm pretty much 100% sure the engine was at tdc when I put the heads on. I even checked cylinder 1 again after putting the heads on by checking with a welding stick down the plug hold for cylinder 1. Definitely wasn't at the bottom of the pot if you follow me, it was at the top. So it can't be out 180 right?
As for the cams. , they were both set up with the marks pointing to 12 oclock and the dot on the idler sprocket was also pointing up. I didn't check whether the cam on the passenger side was completely relaxed or not on the valve for cylinder 1
And if one of the cams was one tooth out would that make it not start?

I guess I should try a replacement cam sensor before opening things up to have another look, however it does seem a bit too coincidental that it should fail simply because it was taken out and put back in. Are they prone to just going bung when out of the carm for a few weeks?

Should add I connected my code reader again and moved the connector around a bit to try and get a reading and it threw some codes as below-
P0099 - Intake Air sensor 2 intermittent/erratic
p0 600- Serial communication link (this sounds bad!)
Po 100 Air Flow A circuit
Po 400 - not sure what this is, but 4's are exhaust gas in my manual
P0048- not listed in my book.

Weird thing is the codes changed when I ran it again to include the last couple.
the one that worries me is the serial communication link. Hoping I haven't shorted out the control module somehow. You do have to move the wiring looms around a lot getting the heads on and off.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about these codes I'd been keen to hear them.

I'm thinking to change the cam sensor and if that fails I'll check the cams.

Chrs
Mark