AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Got new Trailhawk last week!
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
Default Got new Trailhawk last week!

Hi all. So we got our new red TH last weekend and are loving it so far - tho I'm havin a bit of heartburn about the tranny stories that keep cropping up from time to time (of course I only started hearing about all this stuff AFTER we bought it!!! - no excuse tho as clearly the info has been online for all to see for some time - I just didn't...).

We'd been looking at getting a Territory or Ranger or perhaps Santa Fe but as I poked about I tripped over info on the new Cherokee and one thing led to another. Actually, my wife and I fell in love with it as soon as we saw the first picture.

We ended up buying on spec from long distance - my first view and hands on of the real thing was when I flew to the dealer to take delivery and drive it 1280km home.

As I say, we're loving it so far and just have fingers and toes crossed. It didn't miss a beat on that first trip - and even better, I realised when I got home and actually read the manual that I ended up more or less accidentally following the run in procedure fairly closely! - ie. for the first 100km I was fairly careful - then at about an hour and a half into the trip I actually slowed to about 50kph every now and then and pedalled reasonably hard back up to the 100kph limit - ie. not exceding 4000 or so rpm. Did that every 20 mins or so for the next couple of hours - more to keep awake than anything as it was wee hours - then did the rest of the trip thru the day steady steady but not babying it - or thrashing it - each time I stopped and got under way again (did several overtakes during the course of the day as well). All seemed sensible way to handle it - I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade.

The only things I have observations / criticisms of - and still trying to figure out how to actually tell Chrysler / Jeep themselves - is there a feedback system? are:
1. No left footrest (what?!?!) - on that initial long trip this had me venting rather noisily and often - tho in the privacy of my own company in the car.
2. Disappointed at the "lazy" RH Drive conversion - ie. leaving the transmission select on the now passenger side - and indicator / washer stalks on the "wrong" side for RHD.
3. Trans etc. settings don't stay where you had them on last shutdown (means a sort of "preflight" checklist before you go anywhere).

Otherwise, like I said we're loving it and only hope it lasts!! - in fact we're in the can if it doesn't as we've REALLY extended ourselves to get it!!