AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Grand Willys Project
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

A little bit more done. They all add up though.

The ends of the sill supports had rusted so I just folded some card over the end to get a pattern.

Here is a part of the section that is being replaced.

The citric acid cleaned it up nicely, but can't replace the lost metal.

New section made and fitted.

The other end of the support also had some rust but was also the wrong profile. The donor floor is flat longer than the original, so this needs to be changed.

New piece made.

Also had to extend the length of the sill supports to match the longer cab. As the support is curved on one side, I added the length at the widest point.

For some reason the sill support flange that fits under the sill was not spot welded to the sill like it was on the earlier cab? Not sure if a change of company policy or just a slack assembly worker? I have drilled holes ready to plug weld it together for the extra strength it gives.

The end of the sill that braces the bottom of the A pillar was also missing any welds. So I will be adding those too.

I decided to add the sill supports before the floor extension so I could get more welds done inside where it meets both pillars. I could then also re-coat the inside of the sill.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 02-08-2017 at 09:19 PM.