AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Wh Grand Cherokee Common Faults And Issues
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2015
No Winching

Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
Hmm yeah that doesn't sound right. I don't know accurate speeds/load off the top of my head, but I can move between D (OD) and 4 at around 100.
I _think_ I'm at about ~3,000rpm in 4th at 110 with 32" tyres, I'll let you do the math for smaller tyres haha. It's fast enough that I notice "hmm, seem to be revving a hit high" if I forget I'm in 4th.

So if the rpm feels comfortable to you (around 2,000 I think off the top of my head.) you're probably in OD.
Maybe something is up with the semi-auto shifter.
Try putting it in tow/haul (button on the centre dash, near the C/T.), that holds it in 4th, and should show "4" on the dash.

Do you think it's activating MDS (shutting down 4 cylinders) at cruise?
It should do it at any speed over about 40 when warm and at minimal load (like <20%.), you can spot it by a small jump in RPM (~200-300 I think.) and the exhaust note changing to a lower pitch drone.
MDS relies on correct oil pressure & flow rate, and has a lot of sensors and crazy logic circuits related to it, I wouldn't be surprised if those circuits can interrupt shifting between OD & 4th for some reason.

If you're not sure what oil it has now, might be worth putting a 20wt in (I use Mobil 1 0W-20) just to rule it out.
Thanks for the help, I'll be going out soon so will check rpm at 100, I plan on doing a full service in the next few weeks and will be changing all fluids, not sure re mds and I have used the tow feature and the revs do increase when that is pushed.