AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Researching an expedition to Australia
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2015
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYROX View Post
You could buy an XJ here for the cost of shipping paying the local duties and the GST (VAT).
Plus your mods certification to get local rego would cost an arm and a leg.
Its a great place to explore with a tent you could travel for years all over the counrty. But the distances are something you would not be use to.
Yeah I agree. The distance literally is a killer. Remote areas here are that!!

Driving in the USA is a stretch of Europen driving, with facilities within a few hours and mobile phone coverage pretty much everywhere you go. Not so here. Having said that, I did take 8 hours from Lake Powell to Salt Lake City's main hospital's emergency room...that's 6.5 hours on the highway doing 150kmh pretty much all the way plus 1.5 hours fast boat ride, couple of pee and burger stops. No In and Out I'm afraid.

Fuel quantity, burn, range have to be taken into account, not just how massive you are.

Satphone is also a necessity. HF is way too expensive and antiquated.

Then there's everything else to consider. Parts, mechanics, land permits, time change, border crossings etc.

P/S: Where in Wales? I lived and studied in Cardiff in the late 80s and no speed cameras on the motorway. Cardiff to London in 1:42 in my mates custom VW Golf GTI 2.2 Turbo. The Sierra Cosworth was the "it" car then..

Last edited by Tyvokka; 25-06-2015 at 12:26 PM.