AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Grand Willys Project
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2015
LokRinger

Liked 1,768 Times in 560 Posts

A start has been made for the upper section of the cab. Using a 7" stripping disc I have had to go through 7 layers including primers and a skim coat of filler some where in the middle. Grey originally and been repainted into cream twice. I felt like an archaeologist! Grey primer, grey top coat, red oxide primer, cream top coat, filler skim coat, grey primer, cream top coat.

No surprises were found and very little rust pitting, but a heap of dents and flat spots. Looks like it had been stood on a number of times and caved in before being popped up again.

Underside not too bad with some surface rust showing through.

Only 4 layers of paint on the underside so literary took half the time to strip. 2 hours for the topside and 1 hour for the underside. Took one whole strip disc to do it all.

The long flat areas I took out mainly with the bigger mallet hammering into the hand sized sand bag. At no time was a metal hammer on metal dolly used directly as don't want to stretch the metal at all. The rubber dollies with lead inside came in handy for this too. The photo is from before I started.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 03-08-2017 at 09:54 AM.