AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Grand Willys Project
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

Things have slowed down due to a right shoulder injury, but still have a bit to show with what I could do left handed.

If you look closely you can see some of the damage that needs to be taken out. From the dent in the middle of the side to the corner in the left of the picture where the circular crease is, it has all be flattened inwards. This also continues along about 2/3rds of the way from the same corner the other way too. Every side has similar damage all the way around.

Got all the major dents out and back into shape again.

Doing some final dressing using a lead bossing stick. This and another one was given to me by a old plumber and can still be bought today under lead working tools. I used the hand beater bag on the outside and worked out any remaining high spots and shape that was needed from the inside.

All the flat areas, dents and creases are pretty well gone now.

They were all along the front face too.

Now to divide it into 4 equal pieces

Wasn't sure how to get nice straight lines when dealing with the surface being a compound curve. So set the roof up vertically and level in both directions and used a cheap laser level to get my lines.

Then cut it into 4 with a jigsaw ready to go into the citrus bath later on to rid it of any remaining rust. Will be mainly using only the perimeter of the these pieces and a whole new centre part of the roof will be welded in to make it longer and wider to suit the bigger cab.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 03-08-2017 at 09:56 AM.