AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Yet another "My XJ Runs HOT" Post
View Single Post
Old 20-10-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy01 View Post
I had overheating issues plague both my XJ's at some point in time. I tried a number of fixes but inevitably the cure was to ensure EVERY component in the cooling system was healthy. The last issue I'd had was a new radiator cap from Supercheap wasn't doing it's job, replaced it with one from Bursons...problem fixed.
So even the most minor of components can screw you over!
You shouldn't need to go to extremes to keep the XJ cool, just the basics.

One incident that caused me some grief was after replacing a water pump the XJ started running hot, it had not run hot prior but the pump needed to be changed because it developed a leak.
I had another near new radiator handy, swapped it in and problem solved. The diagnosis was that the increased flow from the new water pump must have dislodged some crap in the block and clogged the existing (very healthy) radiator...Grrr!

In summary, what I'm saying is don't try fancy mod's to fix the problem, just go over all the factory components systematically and you will solve the over heating.
Good luck
Fully agree and basically says it all... A lot of cooling mods should not have to be necessary and are added whilst the primary cooling system isn't up to scratch (also the components that you think might be ok) and should be seen as bandaids to the real problem...and yes, the rad cap is often overlooked!
I recently had my (only 5 year old) copper core radiator fixed (3 leaks and turned out to be 70% blocked) as last step of the cooling system reconditioning (had only 1x overheating under the heaviest possible conditions, not even ran hot before that))...now it runs sometimes 91-92C, which is a temp that only just opened the thermostat...

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.