AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Jeep 2.7 CRD won't start
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just to finish this thread off my CRD has been running for the last week with no issues.

I was able to source the kit mentioned by piper above from Jeeepart Recyclers in Hervey Bay, QLD. These guys were very helpful and the only Jeep wreckers who promptly returned my call. The "kit" they supplied cost about $850 express posted to me and contained the following (all from the same Jeep):
- ECU with the same part number as my old one
- SKIM module
- Ignition barrel
- Drivers door lock
- Fuel cap
- Only one key and fob

The above is everything you need so that you don't have to carry the old key with you, note that you keep your old key fob as the BCM isn't changed.

Installing it has been simple, swapping the PCM, SKIM, Ignition barrel, and fuel cap took about 45 minutes and afterwards the Jeep started straight away but ran roughly with the check engine light on. There was a list of error codes, the one that was slightly concerning was P1685
- P0702 (Transmission Control System Electrical)
- P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor))
- P1652 (Fault code P1652 is present when data bus cable is shorted to ground)
- P1685 (Skim Invalid Key)

I read the codes using the jeepswj software and a cheap eBay OBDII reader. I actually have 3 cheap eBay OBDII readers, this is the only one I have that works the WJ CRD. Just note it only works with Windows 7 or Vista.

I reset the codes using the OBDII reader and software and the Jeep ran smoothly again and has since.

The next issue was sourcing another key, from what I read dealers charge roughly $350 for a new key and programming the key in the SKIM. They don't duplicate the existing key code, but program a new one. Locksmiths duplicate the code in the existing key so the SKIM believes the duplicate is whichever original key that was copied. I ended up getting my key duplicated at Mister Minit for $140 because only having one key concerned me, the duplicate key is big compared to the original so it'll be the spare. I'll look at cheap options for copying OEM keys later.

Big thanks to piper for the list of parts I'd need to fix the beast, and a big thanks to 55zed for offering to reprogram another PCM, it's much appreciated by a Jeeper when they're down.

Last edited by Tims_Jeep; 02-12-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: noting all parts need to be from the same jeep