AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Incurable Death Wobble
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Incurable Death Wobble

So I have been battling death wobble for a while. It was fine for years till it started getting a bit of a shake occasionally when i hit a bump. In a short period of time it quickly developed into full blown death wobble. Now I can't go over 50-60km/h. TJ hasn't been offroad during this time or had anywork/adjustments done so its obviously a wear problem.

Specs are TJ, 4" short arm lift with custom arms, adjustable panhard and 35s. 168,000km.

Things I have tried so far:

-Rotated tires twice.

-Replaced the panhard bush twice once with a new poly, once a new rubber bush. Hole on axle bracket is tight. no play. Bolt tight fit in bush and torqued corectly.

-Replaced the fairly new panhard tie rod end with a new one. Hole on chassis bracket is round and def not ovalled. torqued to spec.

-Swapped my fairly new timken wheel bearings with ones i ran a while ago without problems and even bought one new one to see if it would make a difference. Axle nut torqued to spec.

- Lower control arm bushes are GQ patrol rubber bushes and appear in good cond./tight and don't have that many kms on them.

-Upper control arm bushes are factory ones with fairly low ks and appear quite good. I replaced one bush on the axle side and found the upper control arm/axle mount bolts had some play in the bush sleeve so i replaced the bolts with larger diameter ones that fit snug.

-Replaced tie rod and draglink/pitman arm tie rod ends with new Moog ones.

-Ball joints were replaced maybe 5-10,000km ago with new spicer ones and appear tight.

-Wheel bearing/ knuckle bolts are tight.

None of these has even made a slight difference!!

The only things left that I can think are:

- the draglink/knuckle tie rod that is non replaceable on the factory draglink but I have tested it several times and it appears tight. AFAIK this would require a custom draglink or modification unless someone is now making rhd draglinks for tjs?

-The other thing I'm not sure about is the steering box. Steering maybe feels slightly looser than I remember? so I tried adjusting the box slightly but no difference. There is a tiny bit of play at the input of the steering box but its not much and I wouldn't think play there would cause DW?

Everything is torqued to spec too.

What I'm missing!