AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Duel Battery setup - Dirt Cheap - ..Help me out!
View Single Post
Old 17-12-2015
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
The only real dirt cheap way is to buy a proper ice box that can keep ice frozen for 5+ days and forget about 12v fridges......
True, That's what I did: I got a good quality techniice esky, was about $140 from memory for a 60litre, re-useable ice packs with service station ice on top for good measure, job done. Everything stays cold for my 4-5 days camping no probs. The last camping trip I went on I was the only camper without a fridge (my 3 daughters were with me). Of the 4 other families with fridges, 2 had problems and their fridges stopped working and everyone was running around with multimeters, swapping batteries, plugs and adapters and stuff. Me, I went to my esky and got a cold beer.

Anyway, for $350 you're dreaming about running a fridge and keeping a battery charged from your car, at least with a safe and reliable set-up. If you want convenience and the ability to jump start, get the 60 Ah Thumper, install the charge kit yourself that it comes with, jump start your car with it with the jumper leads supplied and you'll be fine.

Also, to answer your earlier question to me about charging the Thumper and running the fridge in your car... you plug the Thumper into the car charge kit and the fridge into the Thumper. As you drive the car charges the Thumper and the Thumper runs the fridge, the fridge won't draw more power than the Thumper gets - Thumper doesn't go flat while you drive.

Then, when you park up and take in the sights, the charge kit automatically cuts power to the Thumper ensuring the start battery is fine and the Thumper keeps running the fridge, hey presto, cold beer stays cold.

Simple, easy, not messy or complicated, DIY-able, portable and for $500 delivered to your door it's a bloody steal. I want one but I have too many children that need all my money for food, clothes and education...

What size fridge do you have in mind BTW or do you already have one?

If you don't ask, you don't learn.