AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Getting a replacement Key for '07 JK
View Single Post
Old 16-02-2016
Established Member

Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjcarter View Post
G'day mate, it is best to contact the dealer and order another key from your VIN. It will come with the key cut and remote and all it will need is to be programmed. It requires a 4 digit number to program it which can only be given to certified CJD techs from Chrysler themselves. Hope this was clear and helped you out.
Thanks for that advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
I went to my local locksmith (not a kiosk in a mall...a real Locksmith).
They supplied a chipped key and they programmed it for me.
They are not "remote" keys, ie they only manually unlock doors and start the car....but I was like you, only had one key when I bought the car 2nd hand.
It was around $100 all up.....pretty good, considering what I'd been quoted by Jeep.
This sounds like a good option since its only a spare key. But does this mean the above quoted post isn't quite correct, and that people other than dealers can code the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
Just ordered a spare from my local Locksmith that we have an account with.
$240.00 for the key, $90.00 to code it to the car & $10.00 to cut the key.

Cheers, Craig
Thanks, but does this not bring the price - $340 - in line with ordering a genuine key from the dealer? Did you ever quote a price for a coded and cut genuine key?