AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - KL drivers post your pics.
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Even though I've already made a few posts, figured I'd better stop by this thread and say hi with a couple of pics...

Took delivery of my black diesel KL Cherokee towards the end of last year. Very deliberately with none of the optional extras. But I did spend money on swapping out the stock 18' rims for the 17' Trailhawk rims and some 225/65 Yokohama Geolander GO12 all-terrains. Just a slight increase in overall diameter -- it wasn't really an option to go much larger (as many Trailhawk owners have done), as the wheel arches are somewhat smaller than those on the Trailhawk. I'm very happy with the result -- a slightly more comfortable ride, but still with great on-road handling, and of course much better off-road prowess.

I don't intend to repeat all the great things that so many others have already said about the Cherokee, except to say that I agree! What I will add, though, is that if it's true the diesel has already been discontinued in Australia (as various people have been reporting), then I think it's a great shame and a real failure of marketing on behalf of Jeep.

If you want a mid-size diesel 'SUV' with decent off-road ability (including low-range gearing), the Cherokee is one of only a very few choices. But the marketing of this has been pretty much non-existent. For instance, nowhere in the marketing (brochure, website or otherwise) is it mentioned that the diesel has hill-descent control. The dealer never mentioned it and I didn't notice it until my third (and final) test-drive. Also nowhere is it mentioned that the diesel has the same off-road suspension as the Trailhawk. And even though the brochure lists the clearance as the same as the other sub-Trailhawk models (185mm), I think it's actually higher than that. The US Jeep marketing states that Active Drive 2 (which is in the diesel) sits 1 inch higher than Active Drive 1. I parked next to a V6 Limited (AD1) recently and it certainly looked like my car sat noticeably higher, even taking into account the slightly larger diameter of my upgraded rims/tyres.

Anyhoo, I really do love this car. If the 2.2l diesel engine comes to Australia, I'd certainly consider upgrading in a couple of years.

Finally, if you're interested in the stock rims and tyres I swapped out, they're now for sale here.

Cheers.

Last edited by OPM; 19-10-2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Edit picture links