AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Mods VSB 14
Thread: XJ Mods VSB 14
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 106 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Drove the old girl up to the engineers this morning. He checked it all out, run a radar gun on me, did a sound check, lots of pics..etc.. he passed everything except the exhaust. Ages back i stuck one of those mufflers with the bypass flap in it. At 3000 rpm it was too loud. Its booked in tomorrow for a new SS muffler, then he needs to run another check and all should be thumbs up!!

I did run into a few problems though. Drive line vibes are terrible since i changed the suspension up. Under load it sounds like i have a noisy set of mud tyres on, but coasting it all goes quiet. I may take the rear diff off tomorrow and drive up to the engineer on front wheel drive to pin point the problem. Might need the angle re-setting with wedges, and/or new uni's. The front has a little bit of vibe as well so i need to look at both end.

When i was driving home from the engineers, i hit the freeway and got up to speed and smoke started billowing out everywhere. Pulled over and the underneath of the Jeep was covered in oil...the smoke was from the oil hitting the exhaust. I had only just topped up the tranny oil and added a bit too much... i believe it was coming out the AW4 vent and going everywhere. I could not pin point where it was coming from and wasn't even sure if it was Dexron 3 or motor oil. I made the kids smell both dipsticks and the leaking oil and they couldn't decide either. Anyway, i dropped the auto drain bolt and tried to drain a half liter. Could not get the drain bolt back in properly as it was stripped. It was getting dark and my XJ was parked so that my GC was stuck behind it. My boy was waiting to go to BMX.. far out man... i jumped into action... drained all the oil out, run in the shed and grabbed my 10 x 1.5 tap and tapped the sump. Grabbed a new 10mm bolt and some locktite. Got it in nice and tight and refilled the tranny oil minus 500ml. Got the old girl running and out the way and got the boy off to BMX in time.

So the plan in the morning is get the new muffler fitted, drop the rear drive shaft (i use a front double cardan on my rear with a SYE), and take the run up to the engineers to get signed off while my 48 hour movement permit is still valid. I can check the vibes and the smoke while on the road. Whew.........

Has anyone changed all the unis and stuff on the double cardan shafts. Ie, price, part numbers, degree of difficulty, Mine is a 1995.

Cheers,
Read this while MacGyver theme music playing in the background. Nice save