AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Mods VSB 14
Thread: XJ Mods VSB 14
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Replaced the uni joint at the back of the rear drive shaft. It was bone dry, seized and had wear grooves in it. I will re-fit it tomorrow. I took the front drive shaft off, as the front was making the same noise as the back (under load) but it seems OK. I will leave it off and take it for a spin to see if the front goes quiet as it has no shaft, and the rear goes quiet because i have fixed the uni.

Anyway, as she has passed engineering, i bit the bullet and ordered some parts.
Most important is the drive line. I am not sure if in the XJ's 340,000K's the axle uni's or wheel bearings have ever been done. Anyway, there is some vibe and humming in there somewhere, so i have ordered:
2 x Timken wheel hubs.
4 x Moog super uni joints and center ball kits for the 2 double cardan drive shafts.
1 x transmission mount.

Next up was some new wheels. Some Pro Comp 15" D's with chrome centre caps are on the way. I have done a lot of measuring, looked at pics, etc.. and also based my decision on my previous rims.... which got me the defect notice in the first place, as my tyres where sticking out past the Bushwackers.. and have gone with a 4.50 backspace "0" offset.

Cheers,