AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2 Grand Cherokee
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Hi Dull, we have a 2013 Laredo Diesel.Until this year it was shopping duties only.

This year it has been pressed into service for more 'touring duties'.We tow a hybrid camper, weighs 2200kg fully laden, around 260kg on ball. It's the 5 speed auto. Without trailer I never cared about extra gears. Towing, I reckon a 6 speed would be perfect. 8 speed - no idea, have heard that you need to drive them in a lower gear when towing as it strains the auto, but no expert.

We have had Murchison lift and there is no noticeable deterioration in ride but gives a bit more room underneath. We purchased a second set of wheels that we will add some AT or MT to in the next few months. Standard Michies are great on road, rubbish off road.

Had Murchison tune and exhaust (and just installed a Provent catch can). Maybe slight increase in cabin noise, pulls the van better, and better fuel economy. Prior to Murchison upgrade we got 8.3lt/100 for our mix of driving, just under 8 now. (I got 6.6 from Gungahlin in Canberras north to Engadine in Sydney South - all smooth hwy and downhill ). Towing hwy 12.2/100 but average is around15/100.

Have seen the QL in action hitching and unhitching. Very nice. With reversing camera its pretty much all done from the drivers seat. We are happy with what we have, so whilst its awesome I wouldn't buy a car just for that feature.

Like you, we are wanting to use and tow with our Jeep, but not the extreme stuff. 3 months in Kimberleys next year is our first biggie. Tyres, UHF, protection plates and driving lights are all on the list for us before then. If you can find a car with half this stuff on it to start with I would get that over the QL. We Spent $7K so far and probably another 3 to 6 to go as funds allow !