AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 123,000km dead WG Limited
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default 123,000km dead WG Limited

Hi guys,

You may recall some while back I bought a Jeep GC LTD that was in really fine condition, like as new, for not much money. Well its still in fine condition exterior and interior wise, just like the photos I posted before.

BUT

I think the engine is dead. Only one bank of cylinders are working (passenger side).

It was driving very nicely, very smoothly, no rattles, no weird noises from the engine, but a few days ago, reversing up a slight incline into my driveway it started to stumble and shake and almost stalled. I turned it off, restarted it and it was fine.

Next day drove it to work, drove it home, at the very same spot on the driveway it did it again, but this time it stalled and it took me a bit of pedal to get it started. It still shook quite violently and wanted to stall.

Anyway, parked it up and got NRMA road service to have a look (I don't have a code reader, so that was my aim).

No codes (apart from O2 given the raw fuel being pushed past it on the non firing cylinders).

The NRMA guy reckons it was mechanical - like a timing chain slipped or something - because all 4 cylinders in the bank were not firing.

Anyone seen this before? at 123,000 most likely pampered kms (it was a one owner Chatswood Cruiser with full service history) this seems pretty crap.

So I have a dilemma, do I get it fixed? is it going to be a big job and therefore expensive? who knows what else will go wrong down the track if I do get it fixed. Or do I cut my losses and send it to a wrecker. (And get a Toyota).

Its a pity, I don't really feel like throwing money at it now.