AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - TJ: Faithy's TJ with Patrol diffs and dual transfers...
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts

Got the rear diff housing stripped down and brackets mostly cut off this weekend. Still need to grind it smooth then weld the new mounts on.

I built the high pinion rear gearset too. New bearings and pinion seal. Threw a .7mm shim in the LSD and pulled it apart for a good clean. The frictions are like new. Shaved the ring gear down 8mm for a little more shave clearance. The pattern still doesn't touch the edge so it shouldn't effect the gear strength.

Nice pattern slightly deeper than centre which should help put back some strength that the high pinion rear loses. 15in/lbs pinion preload. 9 thou backlash - little more than I usually like but 140wt oil should appreciate a tiny bit more space. Good carrier bearing preload too to help limit crownwheel deflection that running on the coast side exaggerates.

On an unrelated note, I sealed and repainted the roof tiles this weekend too. House work, full time work and a masters degree is all making Jeep work difficult. Getting there slowly though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1479079255826.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	74972