AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Why do we air down?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016
Established Member

Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

To fully appreciate how lowering pressure can enhance your off road driving experience it's a good idea to lower the pressure in your head, and then your tyres.

Even 2wd cars can get in on the act. With long drives on unsealed roads back in the 70's Dad used to air down the Kingswood, he'd say, "If we don't air down son, might need new teeth by the time we get home". I didn't get it then yet to think what my back may resemble now if I didn't start airing down 20 years ago somewhat scares me. I might enjoy wheeling but I don't enjoy having my ass handed to me while doing so, lowering pressures won't get fast lap times but it will smoothen out most of the small bumps before they get a chance to prematurely wear out your shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushes not to mention... your back! And If you believe my dad, your Teeth as well!

Truth is, with extremely steep hill climbs, deep snow and mud (don't get me started on rock's, I'll leave that for Jimmy "next time") low pressures will get you further with less effort every time and beadlocks will take you to a radical new level. I've been running staun internal beadlocks on 33x10's for over ten years and no issues. It allows me to run as low as 4 psi without worrying about blowing a tyre off the rim, limp on a flat or ripped tyre and God forbid, in the event of a high speed blowout I ought to have more control.

Just a side note, the saying is true, "Once you've gone flat! You'll never go back!"

Last edited by Struth; 06-12-2016 at 09:50 PM.