AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Recall: Clockspring
View Single Post
Old 26-02-2017
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagnkat View Post
Why do the want to go to extremes to reprogram it?
No software is perfect ( as we Jeep owners know.... ) so Jeep periodically reflash to fix problems etc. It happens if your brave enough ( that's a nice way of putting it ) to take it to a stealer for a service. Happens without your consent or knowledge. Its not just a Jeep thing ALL car companies do it. Sort of Windows 10 for vehicles

As I understand it, the OE diagnostic tool is just a front end to a WWW based server..... the "technician" plugs in, the vehicle is identified and if there are patches / upgrades required for the EXACT vehicle ( identified by VIN ) by the central server ..... away it goes. There's probably a "do you want to do this" or other exit but I'd guess its not the default.

This can be a good idea..... the "wrong" code can't be accidentally loaded... if the master database says its a 3.8 auto then that' the only code that can be loaded.

Most car companies also use the common software licensing system ... you are granted a license to use the embedded software, but they still own the code... even though you own the vehicle. A bit of a shock to most people but common for computer software. THis is a bit of a hot topic in the US currently.

But of course if the code is modified or a tune installed and its overwritten this can cause significant issues. The vehicle may not be driveable and this overwrite may block aftermarket tuners from reinstalling.

One thoughtless click in my case can render the car undrivable and cause lots of reflash issues.