AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Drones
Thread: Drones
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Please be careful as the rules will apply to you as well regardless of how heavy your drone is. Those rules are more for commercial purpose if you want to make money out of your video clips or pictures.

I don't have a web link to give you but here it is in a nut shell..google CASR101
- no flying closer than 30 meters to any person. This includes flying over them.
- No flying in populous areas i.e. on the beach or sport events and the like.
- No flying within 5.5km of ANY airport, heli pad or sports airport.This is not law... The actual Law is DO NOT ENDANGER OTHER AIR CRAFT
- No flying higher than 120m
- No flying closer than 30 meters to any object i.e. cars, houses, boats, whalesWhales are covered by EPA and are something like 300m and no flying over other peoples properties.
- You must fly in the line of sight, That means your 4km range is useless unless you have eagle eyes No one has been prosecuted for this... The actual legislation does not refer to FPV
- No flying at night. There is a rule that allows you to fly within 30min I think before sunrise or sunset.

There are a few more rules but I think I have the most important ones listed. Even if you fork out for a licenses you can not get around those rules. If you happen to be in Sydney your chance of flying are just about nil because of all the hospitals and heli pads. There are a few apps that show you where it is safe to fly. (Safe to Fly?, RPAS Logger, Hover)

There are good links and groups you can join i.e DJI Owners of Australia Group for example. There are a few guys from CASA in there too that are more than happy to help out with ruling questions.

A couple of links:
https://www.oic.qld.gov.au/guideline...one-technology
https://www.casa.gov.au/publications...fety-australia
Hope this helps a bit...