AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 2.8 CRD engine number location?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

I got the inspection camera out and looked at the right side of the engine (passenger side) under the head from front to back as much as i could reach, got underneath as well and tried to get up above the starter and EGR valve as that is where i suspect it is located. Sadly, no luck, my battery went dead before i could complete the search. I think i can say there is no plate, it must be the traditional stamping dots and that can be hard to see unless your perpendicular to the stamp. I have had the starter out before and the EGR valve, when i had the tranny dropped to replace my torque converter, and i can not recall seeing the number in that area.
Maybe there is a thread on the LOST forum about it, but i am out of ideas unless maybe searching the drivers side.

Btw Dave, the 2005 KJ CRD has a rather bad reputation, mostly due to the electric EGR valve and the associated control software, that was required in the US market. The CRD was not sold in the US prior to 2005, so they used a vacuum controlled EGR valve prior to that year, and went back to a vacuum controlled EGR in the 2006 and 2007 export models. The 2005s all seem to be made in US EGR configuration.
The vacuum controlled EGRs can be easily blocked at the exhaust manifold pipe, and if you run a GDE tune it can be turned off completely (except for the overboost bleed function to protect the turbo). The 2005s cannot be turned off to my knowledge.
Anyone buying a KJ CRD should try to find a 2006 or 2007, as they are the most reliable, and came with traction control.

Last edited by glend; 07-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.