AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WH Grand owners post your pic's.
View Single Post
Old 22-08-2017
Established Member

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Yea I have had one recurring problem steve

The extra angle chopped out the rubber boot on the transfer case driveshaft, if that is what its called.

The first time I didn't know about it until I put a big load on the back which increased the angle and I found the grease had been thrown out and the bearings etc were shot.
But the original had lasted some 6 years before I realized it was munted!

I replaced the whole bearing and boot with an after market one then 6 months later I checked and the boot had gone but bearing was fine.

I Replaced the boot and grease,, and ordered a bran new OEM bearing and boot,,,, the boot lasted about 3 years i reckon

I recently went on a camping trip towing the same heavy camper and checked prior to leaving and replaced the boot again, it had a slight tear in the rubber,,,, but bearing is still the replacement OEM one i bought. Its become and easy job to do considering I had a friend who owns Outacontrol CV joints do it the first time.

So all i do now is keep a spare boot, grease and bearing,, and i also spray lanolin and soft seal to keep the rubber boot flexible,, other than that Ive never had a single issue,, goes hard and goes everywhere.

I even did a 15.9 second pass down the Kwinana motorplex on a staff day hahahahah big diesel whipped a couple of dudes, nailed the take off and pulled away, won four out of 6!

so theres my story steve, thanks for asking !
cheers