AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - HO rebuild, need to know what to expect
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggers View Post
I want to know, what's worst case scenario here? A dropped valve seat seems pretty up there in problems, are we talking about a new head and its components? Piatona and a bore? I have read that boring out these engines isn't the best idea? .

Also need to know is there anything special in the HO for a rebuild?

Thanks guys

Hi Siggers, I was thinking about that issue as you know, simply put, you will probably have either a dropped valve or more likely a dropped valve seat as you mentioned.

Either can be sort of bad or very bad, depending on degree. If not too bad a dropped valve can be repaired, reassembled and back on the road for a couple of hundred, if bad, either could require new head and pistons. I doubt if you need new pistons though after our chat, even so the repairs will run approx $2.5K+. You will probably need to find a new head, (I was able to get my existing heads rebuilt with new valve seats after having dropped a couple due to overheating but I'm not sure how many shops are willing to do that work, I've heard of a few shops refusing to do it, not sure why) and they are different to the ordinary heads (a different casting, as well as different cams etc.) You'll most likely to be able to reuse all of the bits from your existing head thus saving $.

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk