AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Petrol or Diesel?
View Single Post
Old 14-09-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Diesel variants lack aftermarket support in some ways compared to the petrol variants (bash plates in particular but some european/african groups are venturing into this) though for what I've seen of them, they are a decent little engine with plenty of power where its needed. From memory there is a nasty exhaust crossover on the diesel that is the lowest point on the vehicle (this may have improved with younger models)

Fuel range is the hurdle for petrol. Aftermarket fuel range extension can come with addition of a long ranger tank (or LRA etc.) but this does not substantially increase the range on a petrol engine, and there is the disadvantage of pushing the vehicle ever closer to the dismal GVM it holds once bar work and adequate touring gear is added.

Service intervals and costs are 'much of a muchness' these days, though the diesel does have some particularly high costs at major intervals.

I am inclined to do more short trips, living in a small town, and am personally loathe to running a diesel for less than 30minutes on a regular basis, whereas the petrol will cope with shorter trips easier.