AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - New Jeep
Thread: New Jeep
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default New Jeep

Hey There,

I've been lurking around on and off ajor for quite a few years now, (I think my UN was Tweety) and have been without a Jeep for a while. That changed when I stumbled across a sad looking ZJ that after a slight negotiation, the owner dropped off to my house last night for a total of $600.

The body and paint are actually not bad. Working A/C, tinted windows and a clean albeit Laredo interior.

A rocker cover leak (duh), the usual worn bushings and shocking steering are the bad points.

The first item I want to address is the steering. I do have some play in the track rod and a tie tod end, but I have a lot of lateral movement in the sector shaft of the steering box. Has anyone on here had success in rebuilding the steering box?

The reco ones are fairly expensive, but I am yet to begin looking around for a good used one. The seal kits are cheap, I have found one bearing part number (the worn sector shaft item) so am contemplating giving it a go.. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Shane