AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Mystery Noise front of engine
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2018
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts
Default Mystery Noise front of engine

I found the KJ CRD making a God awful racket when I got out of it this afternoon after driving back from Brissy. Over 800kms with no issues, and I could not hear the noise over the stereo (Hotel California) etc. The noise is coming from the front of the engine and my mind automatically jumped to expensive or terminal conclusions. I jumped online and found some old LOST threads about something similiar. I did the Aux belt off test and the noise disappeared, Eureka! Playing around with the pulleys it seems the vicious clutch heater is the problem, the pulley ring has alot of side to side play, generally sloppy. The rest seem fine, no play anywhere else, and alternator pulley was great. So now what? Do I just live with it sounding like an old Peterbuilt or should I try to replace that viscous heater unit, or can the clutch alone be replaced? We don't really need that thing in Australia.
I am going away again at the end of next week so I doubt I can source a replacement before then. Any suggestions?