AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Hissing noise - Jeep Wrangler JK.
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Hissing noise - Jeep Wrangler JK.

Hi everyone,

In short, my Jeep Wrangler JK has been making, what I describe as a hissing noise, for the past 5/6 months. During that time I've had the issue/noise listened to, inspected by and engine parts removed and reinstalled by multiple mechanics and “experts” in the hope to specifically identify and fix the issue.

My Wrangler JK is a 2010, 3.8-litre petrol, 6-speed manual and has travelled 49,000kms.

As I said above, the noise sounds like a hiss and is most noticeable when driving in second gear but is also noticeable in all gears but most predominant in the lower gears. I'll say at this point, I'm confident it's mechanically related, it's not a hissing/leaking pipe or tube. However, within the past 2 weeks, the noise also appears while in neutral and stationary but goes away when the clutch is pressed but returns when the clutch is not pressed.

The major work I've had done to try to locate and fix the issue is as follows:

- Gearbox removed, taken apart and inspected by 360 Gearboxes and Diffs. Who informed me that there is nothing wrong with the gearbox. The gearbox was hot washed and the seals and bearings were replaced when reassembled.

- A new clutch installed, when the gearbox was reinstalled.

360 Gearboxes and Diffs also suggested to check;

- Check Tailshaft universal joints.

- Check your rear diff oil – if it has metal contamination or if the flange has play, you have found your problem.

I had the tailshaft universal joints and rear diff oil checked. Which were deemed fine.

The Jeep dealership mechanic who reinstalled the gearbox and new clutch originally advised a second hand or a brand new gearbox should be installed, he then claimed it was the bearings within the gearbox that were/are causing the noise/issue after the gearbox came back from 360 Gearboxes and Diffs, who disagreed that it was the bearings causing the noise/issue.

Then when I picked up the Wrangler on the 23rd of April, after the new clutch had been installed and the gearbox reinstalled he then claimed he had done some research online and spoke with a Jeep Australia technician who explained to him that the hissing noise was normal for a Jeep Wrangler, particularly in second gear. As the second gear has a concave design and the other gears, including reverse, don't. So that's why second gear hisses/makes the noise the most... I think this is absolutely rubbish.

So, in your experience with Jeep Wrangler JK's, have any of you come across a similar issue? Does the second gear have a concave design? Do you know what could be causing the issue? If so, is it normal and nothing to be concerned about or is it something to be concerned about and what do you recommend to fix the noise/issue?

I would appreciate constructive responses, not comments about ignoring the noise, turn up the radio or it's a Jeep, it's meant to make odd noises...

Thank you.

Last edited by JKBall; 09-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.