AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Hissing noise - Jeep Wrangler JK.
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Mmmm... have an 07 JK 3.8. First (OE) clutch went at ~85000 km. Second (centerforce dual friction) at 195000km. Third (Centerforce dual friction again) in place and about 207000 km on clock. Changed throwout bearings at same time. Machined flywheel with the first clutch change and changed the flywheel with current (3rd) clutch.

Have not ever had hissing etc noises.

No warning tho when the clutch is about to go... they seem to die and that's it. 2nd clutch did slip on load and when changed was shot to shit (as was the case for the first (OE) one). I do a bit of towing.

When u change the clutch get a better quality & stronger one. The Centerforce dual friction does well for me. They do rattle because of the centrifugal weights that r part of the design and that give the added pressure force and strength to the clutch. You should also always change the throwout bearing (once again get a better brand than the OE) and it is also a good idea to change the clutch slave cylinder at the same time (OE for this is OK).Changing to a better/different brand might help the OE problem go away.

When I travel out bush I always carry a spare clutch, throwout bearing and a slave cylinder because u never know when it will die. I know this seems 2B overkill but they don't take much room & I know that I will always have paid a lot less than from a dealer and also the "out bush" rip off price and there is no wait time for the parts to arrive.

Obtuse answer to your problem but there must be something useful in what I have said.

Somewhere.
Hi humdingerslammer,

According to the mechanic who worked on my JK last month, he machined the flywheel, replaced the throw out bearing and replaced the spigot bearing while replacing the clutch.