AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - High milage TH reliability?
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2018
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

If you're not already doing it, have a good trawl thru US forums and ask on them as well. Americans are happy to chat to anyone about anything - not quite same here.

On our Oct 2014 KL Trailhawk with just under 25500km on it we're about to have the PTU replaced (sadface)

Luckily FCA are coming to the party to a fair degree by supplying the $3000 PTU itself but we're up for labour - which is quoted at 7 hours.

Ive seen Chrysler bulletins where they list PTU replacement at 2.8 hrs, underbelly stone shield removal / installation at 0.5 hrs and programming at 0.4 hrs but obviously that's skilled workshops..

These things seem very good to work on - so once parts prices are reasonable, keeping them going is looking to not be too bad to do even with major part replacements - with the most difficult thing being software stuff. If the govt does what they promise and eliminate the proprietary manufacturer lockup on that side of things then that will get a lot easier too.

From what I can make out our failure is electronic within the unit, not mechanical - so I think we might have been able argue for full repair even tho it's out of warranty, but I was so grateful they were co-operating with the part that I just grabbed what was offered...

Last edited by Trailfirst; 11-05-2019 at 04:10 PM.