AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode?
View Single Post
Old 15-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croitoru View Post
Hi
Finally life gave me a break and took it into my trusted transmission guy, Clint@Hart transmission in Brendale (thank you state if Queensland for Ekka break).
I had to drive there in second, of course.
Then he took it for a spin and managed to shift it in 3rd, 4th, 5th, multiple times. By slightly pulling the shifter up.
He said there's likely nothing serious.
I'm going to ask him if he knows any good diesel mechanic up this way.
I will post results re transmission final root cause and fix as soon as I have it.
Cheers,
R
Regarding the gear shifting : It is very easy to remove the gear lever unit from the gear box (from the inside of cabin) . Remove center console , remove the rubber cover edges and push rubber cover up the lever .
There will be as far I remember 4 bolts to remove and the lever should come out. At the gearbox end of gear lever there would be a small plastic type coupling (squarish - that was broken on mine).
As you select the gears the coupling slides and moves the gearbox forks inside . Maybe it's worth looking at it .
That would be pretty much all you would be able to inspect the rest would be to do with gearbox internals .