AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Phantom Electrical Fault
View Single Post
Old 16-12-2018
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Question Phantom Electrical Fault

Over the years my WH Grand CRD has had several episodes of a 4WD fault, with ABS, and ESC all coming up at the same time.

This has seemed to always be as a result of the garage or shop changing or rotating the tyres. A wheel rotation sensor was always blamed and replaced by Jeep. From memory always the RF wheel.

I had blamed rough treatment by the tyre monkeys in whatever tyre shop I chose but after a recent RF wheel removal by a local garage - where you can actually speak with the mechanic, this is probably not the case.

They had been warned that I was tired of replacing LF wheel rotation sensors but the fault came up again. As their scanner did not access everything they borrowed a flash harry one to reset the codes as theirs could not access all areas. Fine, but no cure. They then cleaned and checked all wiring connections. To no avail. Confident that they had been careful with the sensor they then put the unresolvable issue aside, and magically it resolved itself an hour later. The sensor was not replaced.

Has anyone ever heard of a fault like this? The boss said that perhaps it was caused by the suspension drooping to its maximum while my GC was on the hoist, but even he sounded doubtful that might be the cause.

I wonder if it might be an ECU issue. Has anyone had anything similar occur?