AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Mods VSB 14
Thread: XJ Mods VSB 14
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Alternator is now in. It fitted up really well. I also refitted the clutch with the new bearing on the A/C. I tried fitting the new 6pk2275 belt. No way would it fit. Perhaps its the new bigger alternator, but it is a whisker too small. I made a slice through my old belt and ran it around the pulleys, then taped it up so it was all snug. Then i took it off and measured it. Its coming in at 2300. I rang the shop and they have a new 6pk2300 in stock, which is just 25mm longer. I will swap it tomorrow.
Pic below of it finally in position. It sits much higher than the old version.

I then cracked on with the wiring. I made up new earth and power cables and installed the ANL 150A fuse holder. More pics tomorrow when its all fitted up and the belt is on. I spun the old alternator pulley and its as noisy as hell. So even though this upgrade has been a pain, its resolved a few issues with noise and accessory power.

One job coming up is the rear disc brake upgrade. I just had a small look at the job today in preparation. I bought the backing plates, calipers and proportioning valve from the States. They are off a ZG Dana 35.
I stripped the calipers down, degreased them and painted them in a high heat engine silver with clear coat.
The phenolic piston in each caliper was cracked. I have the seal rebuild kits, but had to jump on RockAuto and order some. Great price at $6 U.S each plus only $10 shipping. They should be like new with the new pistons, seal kits, bleed nipples and a paint job.

The backing plates were cleaned up and painted in gloss black caliper paint.
After they were dry, i fitted new emergency brake pad kits with new hardware.. they were a pain to fit.

I have had new EBC rotors sitting around for ages now waiting on this job. They slipped perfectly over the rebuilt backing plates.

The brake upgrade has been well planned out and should fit up really well. I am fitting new ZG tone rings and ABS cables. I have the correct hand brake cables and not doing the dodgy bulldog clip modification.

This mod will be happening after the transfer case is put back together and i can do a few test runs after all the work that has been going on.

Cheers,