AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode?
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,588 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlav View Post
Pfiuuu....glad to hear . It sounds that the turbo vanes actuator does not work for some reason as it should and are open (full boost) all the time (when small hose removed).
It must be some permanent constant vacum in that litlle hose that activates the vacum membrane of the actuator and keeps the turbo vanes closed rather than moving acording to load and rpm .
Seen on ytube a guy who plonked a mobile phone in the engine bay facing the actuator and this way he could see what's happening while driving .
Well you getting close...and nearly there . keep as posted . Cheers .
There is no turbo vanes actuator on the turbo used on the VM425. It has fixed vanes. If you are googling you will need to look up the exact type of turbo.

The issue the OP has appears to be the waste gate is not operating properly. Need to be very careful running the jeep with it disconnected.
Is your boost gauge on the turbo air outlet ~ T into the hose that goes from the air side outlet to waste gate actuator. This gives the actual boost pressure.
IIRC MudMonster replaced the actuator spring with a stronger one. My first turbo had the actuator on the wastegate sticking closed much of the time. Made it go much harder but probably caused a lot of the head problems I eventually had. Removing the turbo is a PITA. You need to remove the exhaust manifold with it ( so inlet manifold as well) as there is an impossible bolt on the turbo/manifold flange. The torx headed bolts on the dump pipe flange are difficult as well.
Good Luck!