AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Rear diff questions please
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Rear diff questions please

Hey guys, Thanks for everything in past threads. This is a bit of a long opening post but is important to me.

xj limited 95

188k kms

Bear with me please as I am a chef by trade of 22 yers and know very little about mechanics, so any answers will be highly appreciated. Thankyou.

I have done some small works on my jeep but the rear diff is out of my range and now sits with the mechanic. He tells me the noise is because of either the main bearing is knackered, or the crown joint or either bearings of the rear wheels. He advises to replace the complete axle/rear diff as will be cheaper.

He has sourced a second hand complete unit for 750 plus labour total of 11-1200.

Is this the price about? (Outer western Sydney)

I asked if it is the same type of diff being replaced, he says it is from a same type of jeep of the same era and will fit. I have a limited so is this true what he says?

He can not answer what the jeep was (chic,country,classic,sport,limited) or the condition of it or the kms on it, no info. Only saying the wreckers will tell you what you want to hear and only give 30 days guarantee. Is that good enough for 750 in your opinions?

I kind of need my jeep back working fairly soon. What do you guys think? I live in Penrith and can travel a few hours to get another diff. Does anyone know of who or where for cheaper or more reliable or should I go with the one I'm faced with now?

My xj has 188k on the clock if the rear diff is gone now, will I expect the front to go soon as well?

Plus if the rear diff is being replaced I may as well replace the rear leaf springs at the same time. The mechanic says I should use the ones coming off the jeep with the new diff, but if there is no info on that jeep how can I know if they are any good? Presently my leaf springs face down to the ground. Maybe just get new ones and how much would they be?

So there you have it, if you have read this far I thank you and look forward to hearing what you have to say about the diff situation. Lots of questions I know but if you could help or advise me please. Thankyou again.

Jason