AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - New Battery Required for WK2 Diesel Overland
View Single Post
Old 15-05-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts

Howdy, my alternator died while on the way home from camping two weekends ago. 2012 Laredo Diesel with 65k on the clock. I have a second battery but it's completely separated from the alternator load (charge with solar only while camping). As others have reported, lost power steering, gear changes, everything with little warning. Pretty dicey on winding roads with a fully loaded trailer on the back. With a bit of help I got it home on a prayer and a new battery before I twigged to the alternator. Was still on the original battery (6 years old), so preemptive replacement might have saved the alternator as suggested. As is always the way I was just starting to look around at replacement batteries the week before.

Bought the Jaylec replacement alternator (65-8536) from USA Auto Parts for $700 (delivered same day) and had a local joint do the swap for $250. New Century AGM battery (DIN85LH AGM) from supercheap was $450.

Turned out to be an expensive long weekend.

Kept the failed unit and receipts, though I'm not holding my breath for a recall and unlikely I'd even be covered not going through a dealership. Probably need to submit the details of failure to ACCC or someone though? Not really interested in talking to FCA again.