AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 05 2.8 CRD lots of problems.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You have my sympathy BUT, look your talking about a 2005, which the absolute worst year model to buy (because it was the last US production year) and they stuck electronic EGR valves on them to meet California EPA requirements. The Export models before and after all use vacuum EGR valves and are very reliable, if they have been well maintained.
That vehicle is now 14 years old and I am not surprised it has problems. Go out and check other 14 year old diesel vehicles. I guarantee you the performance and fuel economy will be terrible compared to it's new state. Most old KJ CRDs with Cats, and EGR, and crank case gas recirculation, have intakes gummed up with a thick tar made of diesel soot and oil from the cranckcase blow-by recirculation. This stuff gums up the intercooler, and the intake body, so it is never going to breathe as well as it should. The soot injected by EGR works at wearing away the rings and other internal parts, its like sand inside your engine. At this point it can't be fixed unless your willing to spend the time purging this stuff from the engine, and I bet you can't be bothered.
Many people pass through the KJ Forum complaining about the vehicle they have bought second or third hand, expecting miracles, or that experienced folk here will sort it out.
If your going to buy a KJ CRD, the best ones are probably owned by original owners who have maintained the vehicle obsessively. They will have installed a Provent from day one (in the new vehicle), they probably blocked off EGR, or installed a GDE ECM tune to delete EGR functionality, they will have maintained the vehicle at least to log book schedule but probably better. Frankly I can only think of maybe five members of this forum that might come close to that profile.
I am not saying KJ CRDs are junk, but any 14 year old diesel is going to have problems, petrol models as well. They were not built to last that long, manufacturers don't care about longevity.
So get rid of it, and please don't pass it on to someone else, sell it to a wrecker for parts.
Or commit to a long term project to restore it, and that will cost you money, more than its worth.
Well said glend!
If people want a fault free 4X4 they are dreaming!
Next best would be to buy a new one & fight the stealer for the next few years. Fault free cars ended in the 1970's when Mercedes removed the fault free ex factory from their guarantee.
I have found my cheap KJ great to drive & very few faults to fix. I have only done 15,000km since I got it. I purchased it for its engine but it ran so well its become my DD. Still working on motivation to rebuild the engine in the other one.