AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Mods VSB 14
Thread: XJ Mods VSB 14
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Ok, had to address the seats again. I let the epoxy dry on the gear and shaft for about 36 hours. I then drilled a 3mm hole through the gear and shaft and inserted a 3mm roll pin. This is just an added protection to help stop the gear spinning on the shaft. ( i cut the excess roll pin off ).

I used white lithium grease and put the shims back in the correct locations, together with the worm drive. Closed the housing up and installed the two holding rings.
Once rebuilt, i installed them on the seats. During the whole process, i had kept rotating the shafts in the housing to make sure everything was turning ok. I had to do a bit of filing to the gears to make them run smoother.
Also had to align the tracks a few times and trial the action with the seat upside down next to the Jeep and plugged in. Eventually i was happy and bolted it all back up. It works!!

I sat in the seat and had a play around and adjusted it to my preference. I will now leave it again. I think it will last and the epoxy will get stronger as time goes on. A set of the threaded gears posted to Oz is about $190 USD or about $300 AUD. So saved some money there, but a big fuckeroo.. If they go again, i will bite the bullet and get some new ones.. but for now, that money is going on a set of sensors and parts from RockAuto.

On a side note, out of the 6 shafts and gears i had, only two gears were cracked through on 1 side and slipping on the shafts. The other 4 were completely broken in half. I used the two cracked ones for my repair. I also had to grind the shafts down a bit to make the gears sit on properly again. Its definitely worth a go..

Cheers,