AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Fitting JK Unlimited Axles into an XJ Limited
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

18 months on and I'm still extremely glad I did this. I've sorted out the little issues I was having, and have added a few parts to the list (in bold) below.

Parts List-

Front Axle
Artec Industries JK2TJ Front Axle Truss System
-Did not use the Panhard mount or Steering Damper mounts from this kit
JK Wrangler LHD Pitman Arm
- The LHD pitman arm is needed to clear the swaybar when turning right. The JK Pitman arm is bent to clear the panhard mount on the JK Chassis, and this bend is what causes issue. Thankfully, the only difference with the LHD is that the bend is in the other direction, so it works perfectly for the XJ after filing out the dead-splines.
JK Wrangler Tie Rod
Synergy JK Wrangler Drag Link (Shortened 1-1.5")
- This had to be modified to fit as it was too long originally. About 15mm needs to be cut off the pitman arm side (both tie rod end and steering shaft) and the knuckle side just needs the tie rod thread to be cut flush with the adjuster nut thread (while fully wound in).
JK Wrangler Steering Damper (Rubicon Express) and Currie Industries Tie-Rod Bracket
- This bolted up to the LHD Panhard mount below the drivers side coil. Keeps it up above the tie rod and out of harms way.
XJ Cherokee Extended Brake Lines (6")
-These need to be custom made to suit the JK Brake Caliper. I got these made through a local Enzed.
XJ Cherokee Front Drive-shaft
JK D30/D44 1310 Pinion Yoke

Rear Axle
Uneek 4x4 Leaf Spring Perches - suit JK D44
Uneek 4x4 Weld-on D44 Rear Truss
JK D30 Front Pinion Flange
MQ Patrol Driveshaft Flange
-This converts the 1310 Uni on the XJ Driveshaft to the JK Flange
XJ Rear Brake Hard Lines
ZJ Rear Caliper brake lines
-As with the fronts, these need to be custom made to suit the JK Rear Caliper. They're only a Short line.
XJ Rear Extended Brake Line (5")
BA Falcon Ute/Wagon handbrake cables
- These worked out to be the perfect lenth for my setup, and had close enough fittings to work on both ends. The axle side needed a bolt and nyloc nut with a couple of washers as both the e-brake mechanism and the falcon cables have eyes, where the standard JK cables have a hook at the axle side.

Other than those little things above, its been flawless. The brakes have left a little to be desired, but I feel that it may be a master cylinder and booster issue. The JK Brakes require a stupid amount of line pressure compared to the XJ's setup, so going to a softer pad/rotor combo may work in my favour.

See my Budget XJ Build HERE!