AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 3.0L Diesel Bottom End Fail
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 388 Times in 218 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

There have been a couple of mentioned on here.
Potential bottom end failures can be caused by fuel dilution of the engine oil due to excessive DPF regenerations not giving the oil enough time for the fuel to evaporate off when at operating temp. When this happened to my 2015 the indicators were:
1. Rising oil level on the dipstick
2. Increased fuel consumption of 9.4- 10 ltrs per 100 on hwy cycle instead of 6.8-7.4 ltrs per 100 (non towing)
2. EVIC oil life % dropping 1% every 200km till about the 850km mark then 1% drop every 35km there after till 0% oil life & oil change at about the 3000km mark
Whilst mine didn't damage the crank bearings I suspect it would have if I didn't do the oil changes as per the EVIC oil life recommendation. The fix was to remove the DPF- clean it at a DPF cleaning place, replace the pressure differential switch & check the DPF temp sensor was OK. I now run a Bluedriver unit & monitor the DPF regen cycles.
When I explained to Jeep what the vehicle was doing 2 months before the warranty ran out they didn't have a clue & said not to worry about the oil life % as it can't monitor the oil quality. What the oil life % does do is calculate the amount of fuel being burnt against distance travelled, engine temps, revs etc. If I had ignored the EVIC & not done the oil changes I'm sure my engine would have had crank bearing damage.
These guys can supply a second hand engine http://allgrandcherokee.com.au/

Cheers