AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 2.8 CRD Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Yeah, it definitely sounds like a challenging (and dangerous) issue. I'd be reasonably certain that it's not a fuel delivery issue - fuel tank pump or filter - because the engine would flutter before cutting out. And it would also struggle to restart. I might be wrong about this but I've got a feeling that the engine will still run in limp mode without the fuel rails sensor. You could test this theory by disconnecting the sensor harness and seeing if the engine will start. If it does, you could be reasonable sure that this is not your issue.

You might want to consider purchasing a BlueDriver (about 130 bucks) so that you can do a thorough scans of the jeeps controllers yourself. Next time it happens, you can do a scan immediately and see what it reveals. You can also monitor the fuel pressure signal (and other PID's) realtime which may reveal valuable information.

I'm still thinking it might be an ECU issue. Maybe a loose power wire to something vital, or loose earth wire etc. Have you tried just letting the engine idle and then wobbling/gently tugging electrical wires at the various sensors and ECU?

Follow us across Australia https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...zG8C-c7zERG1Dw