AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Rear engine seal leak - replaced twice now and still leaking
View Single Post
Old 19-12-2020
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
When you say leaking what exactly do you mean? A rear main can be weeping (have oil appearing on the rear of the casing without ever dripping onto the ground. I held onto a so are RMS kit for years, thinking I would have to replace it, but it never actually leaked enough to spot my driveway. I used to wipe off the case when I changed the oil and that was all I ever had to do.
I will state the obvious, this is pretty common on KJ CRDs once they get old, and yes over filling is the most common cause- and in this case over filling us running oil at the full mark, it should be kept just below full, say a mm or so. Yes over pressure of the crank case is another poss8ble cause, and i know of at least one 2005 that had terrible blown, so bad that itcwas blowing oil out the Provent relief valve. In that case ring damage had created over pressure and the engine needed a rebuild.
Thanks Glend for the input and suggestions.
Sorry for the late reply. We had some family emergency in the mean time and the Jeep was at the mechanic for a while.
The problem was found and solved. However I now need a new engine block most likely.
It turned out not to be seal itself. The leak came from above the seal area from a crack in the engine block. It was visible after removing a couple of parts. He used a die grinder on the crack the best he could and used steel putty to refill it. After cutting and polishing it looked like new (saw the process pics).
After driving now for nearly 1000km no more oil leaks. However here is the question. How long will it last? Do you have any experience with repairs like that? My mechanic said the worse words when i picked it up...."i would get rid of it soon"....
Worse case scenario i need to replace the engine block. Do you have any info on going prices and possibly sources?.
Thanks again and have a wonderful Christmas everyone.
Cheers
Tom