AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - New owner of 2006 WH CRD
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Got my transmission dipstick in. Checked the level:

- Park on a level surface
- Parking brake on
- Go thru P-R-N-D and back and forth a few times
- Check temperature in Jscan (while in D or R)
- Check oil level

It was way overfilled, reading over 90mm @ about 45 C, yikes!

Put a vinyl hose down the dipstick tube and started suction with my mouth, then let it slowly drain into a container.

Stop after ~200 mL, check temp and level again, repeat.

I ended up taking about 700 mL out before the levels were closer to correct. Pretty sure I've got it spot on.

I went for a drive at about 600 mL to see, still had the rough downshifts but not as bad and only at temps higher than when it started occurring previously. After 700 mL was out, went for another drive and it's close to gone. I'll continue to monitor and check the fluid levels over the next weeks.

The fluid didn't look like it was in the best of condition, it's an orange-ish pink-ish color. I think it may need a change. Unfortunately, it was flushed about 6k ago - I mean, rapidlube says they flushed it - and they used Wynn's fluid, which I don't know if you can buy. So I suppose the best thing to do is totally flush it out and fill it with something that is more accessible in shops/online.

Also purchased fuel hose & clamps to replace the hoses connecting to the fuel filter, will get that done soon.