AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - You’re going far from civilization. What spares/tools do you bring?
View Single Post
Old 29-01-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m a fitter and turner and tend to go overboard in this department, I went in my 80series from Brisbane to the territory and back

I took this kit that I got as an apprentice and added a few things like taps, files, thread file, soft hammer, hub socket, centre punch, scribe, 6in and 12in rules, a couple of different sized brass drifts, drills sized appropriately for taps as a random assortment. I also took a cordless drill.

I would not take a cordless rattle gun unless you have impact sockets, last thing you need is to break a socket 800km from town.

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/tools-...tns/p/08580145

My 80 shat the transfer case selector in town in longreach on the way home so we just called RACQ and the towed it back to Brisbane seeing as we were on the way home anyway and we caught the bus, do not catch the bus... pay the extra $700 and fly... trust me.

Upping your road side coverage to the highest leave a monthly payment or 2 then downgrading it a payment or 2 after the trip is well worth it. This is what we did and it saved us a shit ton of hassle.

Spares: front and rear wheel bearing kit, spare belts, hoses, some engine oil, brake fluid, power steer fluid, spare unit joint for tail shaft, spare axle stud kits & bolts, filters, high temp grease.

It was just myself and my missus at the time with no kids so I pulled the back seat and inside the car I had clothes, bedding, 80L fridge, tool box and a box with my spares and random stuff like mozzie coils head lamps etc. on the roof rack we put the RV 5 oztent. I pack to keep CoG as low as possible so while some things could have gone on the roof rack, due to mass and security reasons I kept them in the car .