AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Grand Willys Project
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

I had a couple of centre bars, both inside and out, that cover the join in the middle of the windscreen. While both inside ones were fine, the outside ones were rusted out at the ends.

Rather than try and patch up the best one of the two, I thought it would be quicker, and a better result, to replace it. I practised on the worse centre bar to make sure I could form the ends which was just done over the end of the bench with a mallet. I then folded up a new outer skin. Folded in the brake as far as I could and then hammered over the fold the rest of the way.

I made the flanges much wider than needed as they fold easier that way. Then trimmed them down to the final width.

Rather than add a crease in the folder at the beginning, I just ran the tipping wheel up the centre to give it some definition. This way it doesn't go into the area at the ends that will be formed next.

From the best centre bar I was able to use the back piece that the screws thread into from the inner piece. The inside of both pieces were first painted before being slid into place. The flanges hammered over tightly and then the very ends of the bar tipped over a cold chisel clamped into the vise.

The dog leg shape at the ends was bent to 45* one way over the edge of the bench before being tipped back the other way further along. They follow the profile of the seal perfectly.

Testing to check fit with the templates in place.

I am using the donor rear vision mirror. I had kept the mounting piece that is normally glued to the centre on the windscreen from the donor. I shaped the back of it to suit the profile of the inside bar. Just unscrewed the original Willys mirror and drilled and countersunk a hole so I could mount it to the bar.

The new mirror just slides over the mount as before and is tightened with a grub screw. Once the inner and outer bars are mounted together over the divider part of the seal, I will plug the mirror into the wiring harness already installed.

The crease now continues the peak that runs up the centre of the bonnet and into the roof. These were painted satin black or body colour from what I have seen. I will go with the former most likely to make it blend into the rubber seal. Did think about a chrome look and would have made it from stainless steel if I wanted to go that way.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club