AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Factory Radio
Thread: Factory Radio
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've got the same radio, and from what I've discovered over the years very few still have working illumination. Ours suddenly died around 1999/2000 (it's a 95 XJ), and last year was the first time I bothered to disassemble it to take a look. I'm pretty sure the actual LED itself that drives the backlight fails rather easily. I broke out the multimeter and worked out what each pin did and where power was meant to go, and even injecting the appropriate voltage directly to the backlight pins (as I had identified them) did nothing... I don't recall all the specific details, but ultimately my conclusion was the LED itself had failed, and it would be such a pain to try and repair that I didn't even bother. I still think about giving it a go from time to time, but I just never got around to it. I really do miss it though, I have nice memories of going places at night with mum, and the nice soft blue glow coming from the radio gave me a really nice feeling. It's a very specific shade of blue!