AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Pinging diesel
Thread: Pinging diesel
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2021
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
Little bit of related info from a google search on OM642 Mercedes Benz Diesel Engines at a Site/Forum by autospruce.com....lists a few issues you have noted in this thread...BUT...you seem to have covered them ???
Merc pumps are EXTREMELY finnicky things...a tiny mix of water and a doide in the pump 'smashes' sending engine into limp mode...diode is internal of pump and a 'shield'(was how my Merc Man explained it) protecting the diode is designed to 'shatter/break' when water is present in pump...not talking about the fuel pump...I mean the actual internals of the Fuel Injection Pump...may have NO bearing on what your experiencing...but...symptoms are the same...NOW....replacing the Pump is ULTRA expensive...however...a GOOD Diesel Engineering Shop CAN pull the pump to pieces..replace the diode and 'shield'...in effect rebiulding the pump...for a fraction of the cost...my suggestion...find the best Mercedes TRUCK Mechanics shop and approach them...this is a COMMON fault...MAY NOT be whats wrong with yours...only passing on what Ive learnt from experience with Merc Diesels..GOOD LUCK.....HOPING its not your problem to be honest...freakkin EXXY !!!!

ps: after 'cactusing' 2x pumps...I fitted Dephi inline Water Seperators to every Benz I had and fitted them to EVERY new Benz I bought prior leaving the Dealership..WAS a Fleet Buyer...the Delphi added an extra inline Filter, which cant hurt, and didnt effect the 'draw power' from the tank...only speaking from experience...NOT Mechanical knowledge...which I have a little of...but am smart enough to know I know nothing
Thanks greatly for this info. My mechanic did find water in the diesel, so I'm now worried about the pump diode. Really appreciate the info.