AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What did you do to your Grand today (ZJ/WJ)?
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks AdrianD, with your tuning on the TCU , have you done anything with the torque converter clutch lock up points? Have you ever tried switching the solenoid manually ?
I was having some brake drag problems on the rear brakes on the WG , so pulled the calipers all apart and found the pistons were all larger than they should be at the outer end. So this resulted in brake drag when new pads were fitted. Rock auto to the rescue with all new pistons ,seals, dust covers!! So while I was at it I did the same on my WH 3.0 crd as well. So well worth the effort, no drag on either Jeep now!! A little bit of rust between the dust cover and the piston ring on the WH, cleaned up easy with the Dremel and a tiny wire brush. So before I changed out the worn out disc pads there was not much noticeable drag. But with new pads in, the pistons must have been sticking in the caliper badly enough that they would not retract after using the brakes heavily. The theory is ,over time that heat or brake fluid cause the phenolic pistons to swell.
PS the pistons were only about 5thou over, but the are a pretty close fit in the bore. Also I found there was no way I could get the new pistons back in over the new piston ring just using brake fluid as a lube, so I had to use a good rubber grease that was approved for brake use.

Last edited by 5oclock; 14-11-2021 at 08:02 AM.